Sara’s Simple Sauerkraut
- 1 Large Organic Cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Organic Carrots, grated
- 1 Organic Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ½ tsp. Chili flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsp. sea salt
- Place cabbage in a bowl, add sea salt. Allow to sit for 5 to 6 hours. The salt will
draw liquid out of the cabbage.
- Add remaining ingredients, massage & squeeze to make more liquid.
- Pack mixture into ½ gallon wide-mouth ball jars. A kraut pounder or wooden stick
can help pack in all into jar tightly.
- Be sure to leave about 2 inches of space at the top of jar, as it will expand. Cover tightly with ball jar lid and ring. (Pressure will build in jar and will make a “pop” when opened for the first time.)
- Allow to sit for 5 to 7 days at room temperature.
- Open and enjoy as a condiment with each meal. Store either on counter or in refrigerator (fridge will slow down fermentation and increase life, but it isn’t necessary). Flavors will likely change over time, it’s a living thing!