Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Ingredients for the pie crust
- 2 ½ cups almond meal OR ground pecans
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. grade B maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (melt the coconut oil before mixing it into the batter)
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven to cool.
Ingredients for the pie
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz Pumpkin Puree
- 2/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
- 3 Pastured Eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp Great Lakes Beef unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup organic Heavy Whipping Cream, or coconut cream (for dairy free)
- Make almond flour pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a saucepan combine pumpkin puree, maple syrup, salt, Pumpkin Pie Spice,
egg yolks, and almond milk.
- Whisk thoroughly to combine over medium heat.
- Once the mixture begins to steam, whisk in the gelatin a little bit at a time to
- Bring the mixture to a low boil while whisking, then remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Once the pan is cool enough, put the filling in the fridge to chill until it is completely cool, and slightly set.
- If the filling sets too much, allow it to come up in temperature slightly which will allow the gelatin to soften enough to fold the egg whites in, and beat with a hand mixer on high for 20-30 seconds to smooth out the mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed. Gently fold the egg whites into the filling mixture.
- Pour filling into pie crust and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Cover pie with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until set.
- An optional topping is to whip heavy cream or dairy free coconut cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.