Wilderness Family Fermented Cacao Powder & Recipe
Cacao has many health benefits to offer. It contains four times more antioxidants than dark chocolate, and 20 times more antioxidants than blueberries. Consuming foods with high antioxidant profiles helps to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals, thus preventing potential health problems.
The fermentation process of Cacao Powder enhances this superfood to become even more nutritious. Much like nuts and seeds, cacao contains an anti-nutrient called phytic acid. Fermentation reduces the phytic acid content making it easier to digest and absorb all the beneficial minerals. In addition, the fermentation process improves the taste of this cacao resulting in decreased bitterness.
It is still not determined whether heating or cooking fermented/raw cacao diminishes its nutritional value. Cooking and heating foods can decrease the nutrient profile and antioxidant content, so for optimal benefits it is advised to consume this food raw when possible.
Other benefits of Fermented Cacao include:
- Lowered LDL cholesterol
- improved heart function
- reduced cancer risk
- increased energy and cognitive function
- regulated insulin levels
- improved mood and happiness!
Best of all, cacao is delicious and versatile making it a great food to incorporate into your diet. Try out one of our favorite ways to use it with our recipe below!
Fermented Cacao Drink
- 1 TBSP Fermented Cacao
- 1 Cup nut milk
- 1 TBSP full fat coconut milk cream or coconut oil
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- 1-2 tsp Pure maple syrup or raw local honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of Maca powder (optional)
- Gently heat nut milk and coconut milk together on the stove top for about 1 minute; be careful not to boil the mixture to avoid destroying the cacao’s beneficial antioxidants
- Once warm, stir in honey or maple syrup, then vanilla, sea salt & Maca.
- Lastly whisk in cacao just until it is combined.
- Serve as is, or over ice.
Share This Post