Bûche de Noël
Bûche de Noël is a grain-free, gluten-free adaptation of the traditional holiday Yule Log. Use pastured eggs and fresh raw cream to make this decadent treat for your family party.
For the sponge cake
- 6 pastured eggs (separated)
- 6 tbsp. whole unrefined cane sugar (divided)
- Dash unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup carob or cocoa powder (plus extra for flouring the pan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Butter or coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
For the filling
- 1 1/2 cups heavy raw cream (for dairy free use Coconut Cream)
- 1 tsp unrefined cane sugar the contents of 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the parchment paper to fit inside the jelly roll pan.
- Grease the parchment paper with butter or coconut oil, then dust with a sprinkling of carob or cocoa powder then line the jelly roll pan with the prepared parchment paper.
- Whisk six egg yolks together with four tablespoons unrefined cane sugar, dash sea salt, carob or cocoa powder and vanilla extract with the zest of one orange until smooth, creamy and thickened.
- Beat six egg whites with one-quarter teaspoons cream of tartar and remaining two tablespoons unrefined cane sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg white mixture into the egg yolk and cocoa mixture.
- Pour the batter over into the jelly roll pan over the parchment.
- Bake the cake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for fifteen minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- As the cake cools whip heavy cream with one tablespoon unrefined cane sugar and the contents of one vanilla bean until stiff peaks form. Reserve.
- Generously dust the cake with additional cocoa or carob powder.
- After the cake has cooled, gently invert it onto a stretch of aluminum foil or a kitchen towel.
- Spread whipped cream onto the cake, then gently roll the cake length-wise and place it seam down on a serving platter. The cocoa dusted cake make crack, revealing a bark-like texture and appearance; however, if you find the cracks unappealing you can also frost the cake with chocolate ganache.
- Slice the ends of the roll off at an angle, and then affix them to the side of the log. Decorate with a sprig of mint if desired.
- Dust with additional cocoa powder, or with chocolate ganache.
For the ganache
Melt 6 oz. dark chocolate or Enjoy Life mega chunks in your double boiler. Add 1 Tbsp. coconut oil and stir until melted and blended into chocolate. Drizzle over the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.